Sunday, November 1, 2009

Where is the love?

(We're singing that a capella. It's going to be brilliant. I'm part of the trio that sings the "people killin', people dyin'... etc part after the rapping. The chorus. I'm psyched.)

I saw someone's status on facebook today that said "the greatest thing in life is to love and be loved in return".

Nice sentiment. Not sure I agree. Not like at my ripe old age of 16, I've had a great deal of experience with love, but from what I've experienced... "loving and being loved in return" is alright, but not the greatest thing in life by a long shot. Maybe I just don't know what the real feeling of that is like. Not to be too emo (like the person that responded to that status "mmm, too bad that hasn't happened yet for most of us"), I mean.

But really, the thing that makes me feel the best is loving unconditionally and (usually) unreciprocated. Perhaps the only person outside my family that I've really loved was absolutely, 100% unconditional and absolutely, 100% unreciprocated. That person is very far away now, and so I have been thrown into various undesireable situations... but I am being emo like I said I wouldn't and I'm digressing. Loving unconditionally, whether it's returned or not, feels wonderful in my experience. (Which again, is not that extensive, but.) People aside, I love knowledge and learning new things maybe more than anything else in the world. That's just something I give, not something that's returned.

I think maybe the greatest feeling on earth is just to love. That's all. Having that love be returned gives a reason for one to love more, maybe, so that's a plus, but it can also inspire further love that isn't as... real as it might be. Being loved in return can be awesome, I'm sure. Make sure the reaction doesn't stop. But it can also make that love... not real, maybe. Contrived. Not authentic. Something.

I don't know what I'm saying exactly, I'm not trying to make a clear rhetorical point here. I just think that the best feeling in the world is loving unconditionally.

Returned or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment